Translate

Saturday, May 9, 2015

HONORING MY FATHER AND MY MOTHER/2015


HONORING MY FATHER AND MY MOTHER/2015



   These little annoying greeting card declared holidays!  Mother's Day 2015.  I wrote extensively about the mail order flower shops, which was the best, which was such a headache.  I didn't publish that post because NONE were the best.  When all was said and done, it is about the same price to purchase your flowers at your local florist or grocer.  The mail order shops tack on so many fees.

   Needless to say, I ordered flowers more than a week in advance this year for my Mother for Mother's Day.  You say, "So?  Lots of folks send their Mom flowers."  I understand that.  But my Dad is dead.  

   I have been taking plastic flowers to his grave since he was buried.  I am still grieving my loss.  But I honor him by ordering flowers for both of his wives.  My Mother would receive them, of course.  My Dad's Widow also deserves them for the 42 years she was at his side.  She was a great wife to him.  So, to honor him, she also received flowers.

   The 10 Commandments are not the easiest thing to obey.  It is Matthew 19:  16 - 20 that is brought to mind.  Jesus had encouraged little children to be brought to Him, "for the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these."  16) Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"  17) and He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good?  There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."

   O.K.  I understand the Commandments are "the law" and Christians don't live "under the law" but we live under grace.  I get that.  THEREFORE, since we live under grace, how much more important is it to be obedient?  We cannot earn our salvation.  However, we can put in an effort daily to be more like Jesus.  

   But wait, there's more:  18)  Then he said to Him, "Which ones?"  And Jesus said, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER; YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY; YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS;  19) HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER; and YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." 

  I really want you to hear the next verse:  20)  The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept......(NIV)

   Wow!  Just wow!  I know the young man did not know with whom he spoke.  The young man was just that young and inexperienced.  

   Now, we all know that "love your neighbor as yourself" is not one of the "big 10".  "YOU SHALL NOT COVET" is.  These last six Commandments are dealing with our relationship to each other.  The first four deal with our relationship with God, Himself.

   I honor my Father in Heaven by keeping His Commandments in my heart and really putting an effort into obeying them.  This takes us back to 1 Samuel 15: 22:  "Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD?  To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

   This is simply a word of encouragement to you all in your daily walk with The Lord.  I know there are those who's Mother has passed on.  I know there are those who have come from dis-functional families.  There were no disclaimers when God gave these Commandments.  You are invited to leave a comment with the struggles and/or the triumphs you have obeying this and other Commandments.

   Let me make two points with this post:
1)  Honoring your parents is not a one day event.
2)  Fathers, consider your actions.  Your children are commanded to honor you, live in a way that does not put stumbling blocks in their pathway.

   God bless you and keep you.

   If you have not accepted the priceless gift of eternal life, like the young man in these passages was looking for, I encourage you to go to https://omaswisdom.blogspot.com/p/path-to-salvation.html.    You will find information there that may be helpful.  

You are also invited to visit Oma at http://omaspolitics.blogspot.com  and http://omaslife.blogspot.com.


  


  


2 comments:

  1. That dear Sister is a beautiful message! Maybe you missed your true calling in life . . . then again, maybe you are right where you are suppose to be! I love you dear Sis, I hope your Mothers Day is glorious and full of wonderous miracles!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still missing my Dad and loving my Sister. Thank you for all you do for our Mothers and Father . . . . .

    ReplyDelete