Translate

Thursday, January 1, 2015

HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER - COMMANDMENT # 5

HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER
COMMANDMENT # 5

   In Exodus 20: 12 in The Old Testament and again in Ephesians 6: 2 in The New Testament, God instructs His children to honor our father and mother and gives a blessing for those who do:  "that it may go well with you in the land that The Lord your God is giving you."  God blesses us when we obey Him, but this is the only commandment that comes with an expressed blessing.  That must mean that it is very important in the eyes of God and in our lives.

   1 Samuel 15:22 states that God reveres obedience over sacrifice or offerings:  But Samuel replied, "What is more pleasing to the Lord:  your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice?   Listen!  Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better than offering the fat of rams.  NLT

    My Dad died in December of 2013.  When I think of him, I realize that I was blessed much more than he because I did honor him.  His body is in the grave, but I have many memories of our relationship.  Those of you who have read my blogs realize the relationship we had.
 
   My Mother expressed her desire to come live with me almost two years ago.  The blessings I have received have been tremendous.  I have always made an effort to take care of her needs, but having her with me is just beyond words.

   My cousins also take care of their Mother.  She has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  Don't you know how difficult it must be for them?  But it is also a blessing.  The time invested with her is a commodity that cannot be replaced, but I believe will be blessed 7 fold.  My cousins are also respected for honoring her.  You can't buy respect!

   How about you?  Are your parents alive?  Do you know them?  I would love to know your situation.  How do you honor them?

   God never said it would be easy to honor your parents.  He just instructed us to do it.  So, on this first day of a new year, in conjunction with our fund drive, let me extend an invitation to you to share with us how you honor your parents.  If you do honor them, or want to honor them, or are raising your children to honor you and your spouse, please take a moment to make a donation to this site.  Put your money where your mouth is and tell God that you are in this and will make this a priority for you and your family in this new year.  Blessings to you.


You are invited to leave a comment with your thoughts.  Please indicate if it is alright for us to publish your comment, as some comments are not for the public to know.

You are also invited to visit Oma at http://omaslife.blogspot.com and http://omaspolitics.blogspot.com.

 

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of when Pastor Ken gave an altar call for any in the congregation who wanted a blessing to come forward. I was new to that church and kept my seat. How silly! I regretted that as soon as we were dismissed. Make that donation today and watch for your blessing.

    ReplyDelete