Translate

Thursday, January 22, 2015

1 KINGS 17: 14 TITHING

1 KINGS 17:14
TITHING



   My son has been encouraging me for years to sell what I cook.  He is a little prejudiced where my cooking is concerned.  So, yesterday, I cooked what I wanted to eat and a dessert that my Mother, who lives with me,  had been wanting me to bake, and announced that I would sell it. 
 
   Now, we are not penniless, but a long-time friend of mine who lives in another state confided in me that he had gone to a local soup kitchen recently because he had nothing to eat and no money to buy anything.  I guess I was on a mission to prove something to myself.

   While I was cooking, 1 Kings 17 came to mind:

    King Ahab, king of Israel had worshiped foreign gods.  He violated the first two of the 10 Commandments: Commandment 1)  "I am The Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.  You shall have no other gods before Me.  Commandment 2)  You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.  For, I, The Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments."

   Elijah, the prophet, announced to King Ahab, a great drought.  After the announcement, God directed Elijah to leave town.  He stayed by Kerith Ravine for a while and God sent him food (via ravens).  He drank from the ravine, but then it began to dry up due to the drought.  So, God told him to move again, that He had a widow in Zarephath who would feed him.

   When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks.  He called to her and asked her to bring him a little water in a jar so he could have a drink.  As she was going to get it, he also asked for a piece of bread.

   NOW LISTEN TO HER REPLY beginning in verse 12:    “As surely as the Lord your God lives,” she replied, “I don’t have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little olive oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die.”  She was out of money and down to her last morsel in the house.  She was also responsible for caring for her son.

   But God had sent Elijah to her, so he said:  "Don’t be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But FIRST make a small loaf of bread for me FROM WHAT YOU HAVE and bring it to me, and THEN make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘THE JAR OF FLOUR WILL NOT BE USED UP AND THE JUG OF OIL WILL NOT RUN DRY UNTIL THE DAY THE LORD SENDS RAIN ON THE LAND.'"

   Did you get that?  First give to God, then receive blessings.   She first made a small loaf for Elijah.  When she returned to cook for her and her son, the staples she had used had been restored.  Be obedient.  Ask for wisdom to be the best steward you can be over the blessings He has given you.  And the results?....

15 She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was FOOD EVERY DAY for ELIJAH AND FOR THE WOMAN AND HER FAMILY. 16 For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the Lord spoken by Elijah.

   There are many sermons related to these verses, I'm sure.  But for me, at this time, I hear my God saying, "Honor Me and I will prosper you."  The woman was a widow, so she, alone, had the responsibility for her son.  She had no income.  She had no food.  Did you notice how God had told Elijah that He "had a widow in Zarephath who would feed him"?  He knew her plight.  He sent help and a bottomless supply of goods until the drought ended. 

You are encouraged to leave a comment with your thoughts.

You are also invited to visit Oma at http://omaslife.blogspot.com  and http://omaspolitics.blogspot.com.
















2 comments:

  1. i did prove something to myself: with an initial investment, physical ability, ambition, and a gift for cooking, this could be a major income producer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's working, but i struggle every day to not fail my Father. I try my best to take care of my support system in ALL their locations . . . .

    ReplyDelete