Translate

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD

GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD


   I know Christians in a tiny town in Northeast Texas.  I have known them all of my life.  One of them, let's call her Sally, has a husband, who we will call Chris.  Chris had health issues:  his leg needed long term medical attention, the kind of skilled care that he would be able to receive in a nursing home.  Sally was not trained to give that level of care to him, so he was admitted to the local nursing home.

   Sally and Chris had been married to each other all of their adult life.  Unable to see any benefits for her to stay in her home, she admitted herself to the nursing home so she could oversee his care.  "A woman's place is where her husband is."  This lady gave up her freedom to be by her husband's side.  How many sermons could you make out of this one statement?

   I received a note from her recently where she stated, " We had a good lunch.  That's unusual.  We eat a lot of peanut butter crackers."  So my question to you is:  What would you do if you received a card from a Christian with that statement in it?

   Today, I contacted the nursing home to ask permission to send them a "care package".  We will be sending soups, stews, chicken and dumplings, etc. This is what your gifts to this ministry does.  We do not use your donations for our own personal gain, but rather as a benevolence fund for encouragement and short term financial subsidy for Christians.  We also use it to gain attention of non-Christians to facilitate our witness to them of The Gospel.

   It was really weird that when I facebook messaged the nursing home, the response I got back was from a former activity director who still had control of their facebook page!  She advised me to direct my question to the dietary supervisor by phoning the nursing home.  Here is a copy of her response:


Good afternoon, my name is _____ _____ and I am no longer employed with _______ since December. I was the activity director when I was there and had created this page for the facility. With that being said I can’t give you a honest answer to your question about sending food to your cousin. I know in past that family’s did purchase snacks and sodas for love ones. I apologize for not being more of a help to you. I would recommend calling the facility and ask for ________ ______ she is the dietary supervisor and will be glad to answer your questions. Best wishes and if I can help in any more way please let me know.

   Is that weird, or what?  How could they allow her full control over their facebook page when she is no longer employed there?

   I am awaiting the response now.  Updates to follow.

update: I had to place another call to the nursing home but was able to talk with the director of nursing, who consulted the nutrition supervisor, and obtained permission to send the meals.  These are canned meals like you would buy in preparation of power outages:  they are fully cooked.  What's crazy is that I thought I could order them online and have them sent to the nursing home.  Well, I was wrong!  I will have to purchase them myself and box them up and send them.  No worries.  

No comments:

Post a Comment