Translate

Sunday, January 7, 2018

PSALM 23

PSALM 23



23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.   King James Version (KJV)  Public Domain



COMMENTARY

   If you are looking for employment as a shepherd, here is a job description according to Chron.com:  

   "Most shepherds take care of sheep, although they may be responsible for goats as well.  They often work in isolated areas and may work independently except for the assistance of herding or guard dogs.  Many sheepherders must be on call for their animals around the clock."

   Imagine this in relation to our Good Shepherd.  I am intrigued by the statement, "may be responsible for goats as well" as applied to the spiritual world.

FLOCK WELFARE

   "A shepherd's primary responsibility is the safety and welfare of the flock...  The shepherd will graze the animals, herding them to areas of good forage, and keeping a watchful eye out for poisonous plants.....  As the sheep eat all the forage in an area, the shepherd will move the sheep (and the shepherd's living quarters) to fresh range.  In most cases, the shepherd and his dogs will move the sheep out to fresh  grazing each day and bring them back to bed down in the same area each night.

   He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside the still waters.

PREDATORS

   To protect the sheep under his care, a shepherd may use guard dogs or other guard animals.  Sheep predators include coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, bears, and domestic dogs, according to the U,S.
Department of Agriculture.  Domestic dogs are more of a threat than many larger predators, according to the USDA, because they may chase sheep to exhaustion  and cause the ewes to abort their lambs.  In addition to using guard animals, many sheepherders carry rifles to shoot predators that are attacking the sheep. Cell phones and radios may also be used to call for assistance when necessary.


HEALTH ISSUES

   Like other animals, sheep are susceptible to diseases, and they must also be monitored during the lambing process.  They may also be bothered by insects, some of which carry disease.  Shepherds are often responsible for minor injuries or basic medical treatment, especially since they work in isolated areas far from veterinary services.  In addition, shepherds may administer worming medication or vaccines and apply insecticides.  During lambing season, the shepherd will make frequent checks on the ewes at all hours of the day and night, and may assist the ewe if birthing problems occur.  Shepherds may also dock, or cut off, the tails of young lambs."

   So, the duties of a shepherd currently are many.  It is comforting to me to know my Shepherd.

   Now, let's talk about sheep: They need constant care.  They mindlessly wander away then they have a hard time trying to find their way back.  That is how we are!  We believe so many lies that is so unbelievable!  We follow those with the most appealing looks rather than those with wisdom.  I am so grateful that The Creator of all invests His time and energy into looking after me!  He knows me by name; He numbers the hairs on my head!  He leads me back on the path He would have me walk and He forgives me when I stray.

   Sometimes, His rod is for correcting me, other times, it is to drive away my predators.   He uses His staff to pull me closer to Him, even when I stray; it is also used to support me.    When my time comes, He will guide me and comfort me to the mansion my Jesus has prepared for me.  No evil can touch me.
   Consider that your enemies are fighting for you as fiercely and as stacked against you as the fighting at the Battle of the Little Big Horn.  Imagine that at the height of the battle, there is a table prepared with all kind of delicacies shipped in, nothing ordinary like beans and hard tack.  Imagine the wait staff removing the lids of the dishes to reveal such scrumptious dishes.  You are seated in the middle of the battle and your head is anointed with oil, to depict your place of honor. No harm comes to you.  My God has prepared a table before me in the presence of my enemies...and by the way, the victory is mine via my God!

   My cup is full to overflowing. My needs are being met.  I not only have what I want, but I have so much more than I asked for, giving God the glory for His perfect love and care.  I share what He has bestowed upon me.  This reminds me of the Blue Bell Ice Cream commercial where they say, "We eat all we can and we sell the rest."  I enjoy what He gives me but it is so much that I can't "eat" it all; it is so much that it would take so much effort to use it all, so I take pleasure in giving some away (especially my tithes and offerings).
   Lastly, picture in your mind that you are royalty, a dignitary, because you are!  You and I are next in line for the very throne of The King!  No, I don't mean to be blasphemous, but Jesus taught us to pray, "Our Father, Which is in Heaven...."  He also cried out to God, "Father".  So, we are God's children, which puts us next in line for the throne.  I'm surely not saying I want His throne, or that there will ever be a time when He is not on the throne.  I am saying that we are royalty, since we are His children.  
   "Surely", not sometimes, or maybe; but always without a doubt.  Surely, goodness and mercy will follow me ALL the days of my life.  Goodness and Mercy, our body guards.  Goodness to provide for me; Mercy to forgive all of my short-comings, my sins, my mistakes.  These are the body guards of all of us royal dignitaries; those of us who accept the priceless gift of salvation.  Have you accepted Jesus's gift of salvation?  Visit our "Pathways to Salvation" page for more information by clicking here:   https://omaswisdom.blogspot.com/p/path-to-salvation.html.

  And I will dwell in the house of The Lord forever.  Praise God!  Here is our hope.  When we die, we don't die!  We don't take on the form of another creation to correct some mistake in this current life.  This current world in which we live is not our home.  We are royalty in a foreign land with our particular, unique assignments.  So, when we die, we are transported to heaven where we dwell in the house of The Lord with Him forever!  Amen!

references:  Chron.com, Matthew Henry's Commentary, Charles Spurgeon's Commentary.

   If you are blessed by this post, please share on your favorite social media that others may also be blessed.  Thank you.

   We would love to hear from you.  You are encouraged to leave a message with your thoughts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment