Translate

Saturday, November 17, 2012

COMMANDMENT #2: EXODUS 20:4-6

COMMANDMENT #2:  EXODUS 20: 4- 6

   "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in Heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.  You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."  (NIV)

How long is a "generation"?  Bible scholars have varying opinion:  some say 20 years, some say 40 years, some say 100 years.  Regardless of how long a generation is, I don't want to be responsible for my children being punished by my God.  I have worked to provide a better life for my children than my parents were able to give to me.  The last thing I want is for God to be angry at them on my account.  I follow Job's lead by praying for them daily...He sacrificed for his daily. 

Here is the definition of  "idol" according to "dictionary.com":

 
1.  an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed.
2.
Bible .
a.
an image of a deity other than God.
b.
the deity itself.
3.
any person or thing regarded with blind admiration, adoration, or devotion: Madame Curie had been her childhood idol.
4.
a mere image or semblance of something, visible but without substance, as a phantom.
5.
a figment of the mind; fantasy.

Here is the definition of jealousy, according to Psychology Today: 

"As emotions go, jealousy is neither subtle nor kind, but it is definitely complex, encompassing feelings from fear of abandonment to rage to humiliation. It strikes both men and women when they perceive a THIRD-PARTY THREAT TO A VALUED RELATIONSHIP, and that distinguishes it from envy, which involves wanting something someone else has. Conventional wisdom holds that jealousy is a necessary emotion because it preserves social bonds, but it more often destroys them. And it can give rise to relationship violence."



You are invited to leave a comment and share this post on your favorite social media.

Have you accepted the priceless gift of salvation?  Click on our "Pathway to Salvation" page for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment